First of all, one ought to have a toolkit. If you’ve heard of the phrase, up creek without a paddle, you will understand that preparedness is the key to a successful paddle excursion.
My toolkit isn’t fancy, but it is practical. In fact, most of the items I have listed below I swooped up at a warehouse sale or goodwill. The links to Amazon are for illustrative /descriptive purposes only.
First pack a smile, some back up items and may the best paddle be with you.
- Screwdrivers (flathead and philips) & Allen wrenches: If you need to change out, put on or take off your fin, you will need to unscrew it from your board. Unfortunately, fin screws are not universal.
- Pliers– For the unruly screws and fins.
- Screw sets– size screws and plates in case you lose them or need to replace. Most sets are the following dimensions:
- Phillips head, stainless screw, 6-32 x 3/4″
- Stainless threaded plate, 1/2″ x 5/8″
- Or you can try this! SBS – “No Tool” Stainless Steel hardware… No tools needed, except sometimes a needle nose pliers.
- Rope: Thin nylon cord rope to construct ties for your boards. You ties can be used for leashes or anchoring down weights.
- Weights: 5lb dumbells work the best!
- Bungies: Bungie cords come in handy for tethering boards together or even strapping teaching materials down to boards if you need to go out on a longer paddle.
- Duct Tape: In the bad case you gouge your board, use tape to cover to avoid water in your board until you are able to repair.
- Rail Tape: I recently started using this on the nose and sides of my boards. Folks seem to run boards up the shore and into docks like an old aluminum canoe. This helps prevent chipping and damage.
- Epoxy kit– For board repair and up keep. I use Solarez UV Cure for easy quick repairs:
- Box knife: To cut rope or bungies and even tape.
- Extra Fins/Paddles: And of course, if you are an avid SUP-er, you probably need an extra fin, paddle and leashes. They tend to go missing! My recommendations are:
- Fin– FCS Ii Sup Touring Fin 9 inch Black
- Paddle- Aquabound paddles
- Leash– Ten Toes SUP Emporium Ten Toes Stand Up Paddle Board Helix Coiled Leash, 10′, Marine